Need Defense in Appeals?

Appealing Your Case to a Florida District Court of Appeals

In the state of Florida, you may appeal the decision of a lower court to a higher court for review. In the Florida state court system, an appeal is first submitted to the intermediate appellate court, called a Florida District Court of Appeal. If you are still dissatisfied with the decision of this court, your appeal may be submitted to the Florida State Supreme Court. In any appeal, a petition is submitted to the higher court in pursuit of having the lower court's conviction or sentencing overturned based on:

  • Legal errors
  • Factual errors
  • Procedural errors
  • Due process errors

If you have received a verdict or decision in a Florida insurance defense or employment law case that you are in disagreement with, you may wish to submit an appeal. Under Florida law, you will have 30 days from the date of the verdict to submit your appeal. This statute of limitations is generally strictly held, which means you will have little leniency beyond this time limit. Extensions for filing an appeal beyond the 30-day limit will only be allowed for certain cases of hardship or circumstances that were unavoidable.

At Pallo, Marks, Hernandez, Gechijian & DeMay, P.A., our Florida insurance defense lawyers are experienced at handling appeals pertaining to insurance defense cases for clients. If you are a Florida employer or an insurance company, self-insured group, third-party administrator, municipality, county, or other governmental body who wishes to appeal a court decision concerning an insurance claim or employment or labor claim, we can help.

Call us at (561) 623-3051 for your case review.

Florida Insurance Defense Attorneys Skilled in Appellate Procedure

In general terms, appellate courts do not re-try cases that have been decided by lower courts. Appellate courts review the record of evidence to determine if a lower court has rendered a decision based on legal errors. The application of law is the focus of interest in these cases; where the appellate court finds no error in its application of law, it will confirm the lower court's verdict. Where errors are found by an appellate court, it may modify or reverse a decision or send the case back to the lower court for further action.

Call us at (561) 623-3051 today to retain hundreds of years of experience on your side.


Contact Our Firm